Frozen II (2019)


Am I growing too old to watch and be able to enjoy an animation movie or is Frozen II as bad as it seemed? I mean I would be the first to admit that I loved all those Walt Disney cartoons and also Pixar's many brilliant animation classics. More recently, I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Toy Story 4 and the new Lion King, so presumably my ability to enjoy such movies should be intact.

When Frozen first came out in 2013, I remembered I wasn't too taken in by its "power of sisterly love" theme and was surprised to see what a massive hit it went on to become winning two Academy Awards including one for Best Song, and earning a worldwide box office exceeding USD1 billion!! Fast forward 6 years later and we have the long awaited sequel Frozen II to pander to the Frozen fans across the world. My problem with this sequel is that it looks like its the same movie with the same characters and same jokes. Since I never liked the original that much anyhow, this new entry did nothing more to influence me otherwise. Disney tried to make this like a musical with the injection of many tunes. With the exception of the theme song "Into the Unknown" which I really liked, the rest were easily forgettable. As expected with today's technology, the animation and computer graphics were simply remarkable and splendid. What was lacking was a meaty story and characters to carry the film through.

For me the best thing about the movie is its main song "Into the Unknown" sung beautifully by Idina Menzel including the modernised version of the song sung by Panic at the Disco during the end credits roll. The film's appeal I feel is geared more to the adolescent or younger audience.

Comments

Popular Posts