Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018)


This is based on the true story of Lee Isreal, a down and out celebrity biographer in the 1990's, who resorted to using her talents to forging letters purportedly written by famous celebrities and selling them as memorabilia. As portrayed by Melissa McCarthy, she comes across as a crude, brass, rude, and selfish individual. Somebody you would not want to be associated with in real life. Despite, that, I will not be surprised if the real Lee Isreal is an even worst human being! Afterall, her way of atonement to her crimes after being caught was to write a memoir of herself during her troubled times, and in turn, managing to reap more money from rehashing her actions abate in another format.

Having said all that, the real question is, was this movie any good? Sorry to say for me at least, I failed to be entertained ... The main character is obnoxious enough, so, I could not sympathise or root for her character. For another, I found the script and manner in which the film presented to be boring and too mild on its wit. It is supposed to be a "dramedy"! I also hated the movie's soundtrack which I found loud and intrusive to the film's flow. Nevertheless one man's meat is another man's poison, especially when it comes to judging a movie's worth. There are obviously hordes of people out there who loved this sort of slow burn depressing movies as evident by the movie's impossibly high Rotten Tomato score of 98% and its 3 Oscar nominations for Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor (Richard E Grant) and Best Screenplay!! Hack, if I didn't know better, I would definitely want to watch this with those credentials alone! Just be forewarned that this may not be everybody's cup of tea.

Comments

Popular Posts