Into the Dark: I'm Just F*cking With You (2019)


Fans of Hulu's anthology horror TV series Into the Dark, who thought that the March episode was the worst in the series so far, will be dismayed to know that April's entry, has taken over that honour. It is a tedious exercise in viewers' patience as we witness what seems like a mild mannered guy being made a fool of time and time again by an annoying motel owner with practical jokes that get increasingly violent and in poor taste. The film gives viewers the impression that it was going to be a tight story that will be fun, funny, and probably a bit gruesome given the series' theme. Sadly none of these objectives came across effectively.

In fact long before the movie reached its midway point, I was already bored by the main characters and found the bullying practical joker annoying. Perhaps its to the actor's credit that viewers felt annoyed by him since his character is supposed to be just that! But I was not prepared to spend 70 minutes being annoyed. I wanted to be frightened, I wanted to laugh, I wanted to be surprised. Well, perhaps in some other future episodes. I also find that some of the situations and actions that the characters made were illogical and served merely as plot devices to move it along to its conclusion. Despite the violent content, the killings were surprisingly mild and unimaginative. The plot also had a twisted sense of what it deems as appropriate justice being passed to a character for being a online bully.

In my humble opinion, this month's April Fool tribute is best avoided. You can thank me for helping you avoid wasting 70 minutes of your life with this lousy episode.

Comments

Popular Posts