Brightburn (2019)


I must be some sort of masochist because I actually made myself sit through one and a half hours of Brightburn! I thought the movie's premise of having a sort of anti-Superman plot about a baby from another world landing on Earth who grows up to have super powers, and ends up being a super villain rather than a super hero, sounded cool and interesting. However, sadly, what translated from paper to the screen was less than impressive. What we have here is a very poorly written storyline, with many idiotic characters who are just too dump to see the evil lurking among them. The movie ends up just being an excuse to display gruesome murder scenes committed by our anti-hero one after the other. In fact, it soon ends up feeling like a poor version of a typical slasher flic, just without the brainless teenage kids prancing around. While the viewer will probably experience some sort of sick guilty pleasure to see each idiotic character meet their doom, I have grown to question the merits of having a movie depict disgusting cruel violence all in the name of "entertainment". Although the film's running time of 90 minutes was mercifully short, I found myself looking for distractions from my handphone several times.

My biggest disappointment here is seeing the name James Gunn being associated with this piece of trash, as one of its producers! Yes, THE same James Gunn who directed the brilliant Guardians of the Galaxy!!

While I can probably say that I found no redeeming value at all in Brightburn, I have to admit that there was something I really liked ....and it was the end credits song "Bad Guy" sung by Billie Eilish. That was a brilliant touch and sounded great with its strangely appropriate lyrics. Love that song!

Comments

Popular Posts